Our wild harvested California white sage smudge sticks are a great addition to any ritual practice. White sage (Salvia apiana) is a plant native to high desert ecosystems and grows mostly in California.
The use of dried white sage is a 2,000-year-old Indigenous American practice. The shamans used dried sage plants on their fires as a ritual of calling upon ancestral spirits. Any conflict, anger, illness or evil was absorbed by the sage smoke to be released or cleansed from the energy field of a person.
Next, sweet grass would be burned to call forth the energy of peace and love. This ancient shamanic mystical ritual is a simple one to incorporate into your daily or weekly routine, or any time you feel like you might need a little aura polishing. You can never really smudge too much! Smudging your sacred space, your home or office, or even your body with sage is like taking an energetic shower or doing a deep metaphysical cleansing. The smoke from dried sage changes the ionic composition of the air and can have a direct effect on reducing our stress response.
Our handcrafted Sage Smudge Sticks are created for clearing and releasing stagnant or negative energy, healing, setting affirmations, manifesting intentions, purifying and protection. Sage aids in healing physical, emotional, spiritual and mental imbalances. This works on the body to cleanse your aura to attune to the higher vibrational frequency.
Some ideal (or necessary) times to smudge your aura and/or space would be:
- When you move into a new living space
- When you begin a new job or start your own business
- Before guests enter and leave your home
- Before and after a yoga or healing session
- Before and after meditation
- After an argument, illness, confusion, low energy
- Upon returning home from crowded areas/events/entertainment venues/parties
Our white sage smudge sticks are paired with a clear quartz crystal and bound with 100% Cotton Yarn (Cotton is non-toxic when burnt).
Average Size / Weight: 20 x 5.0 x 5.0 cm / 90 grams (some variation, handmade)
CAUTION: Use with extreme caution. Do not leave burning or smouldering stick unattended. Keep out of reach of children.
CALIFORNIA WHITE SAGE SMUDGE STICK – LARGE
1. Place the stick on any heat-proof burning surface like an Abalone Shell (a traditional vessel used by Indigenous American people that represents the element of water). Light the bundle (or leaves from the bundle) by holding a flame to it until it begins to smoke. If a true flame appears, shake the bundle gently or blow until it is just embers and smoke.
2. Once smoking, use your hand or a feather to direct the smoke over your body from your feet up to your head, then back down again. As you do this, visualise the smoke releasing any negative energy from your aura, thoughts, life, home and space and repeat the following affirmation:
"I cleanse this space. My space is 100% clear and filled with unconditional love and light”.
This sage ceremony lifts the veil between the everyday and the sacred. As you say your affirmation, you are shifting energy at will.
Once you have smudged your body, begin to move through your space. Wave the smoke into all corners, across doorways and into shadow spaces. To maintain the atmosphere of ritual, keep repeating the affirmation as you diffuse the smoke.
Once the space is cleared, allow the sage bundle to either burn out or gently press it out in your heat-proof shell or heat proof container (never under running water) and fill the space with the energy of love. You can even bury the remaining smudge in your garden to really feel the completeness of the cleansing ritual. Once buried, the sage has done its work in completing the elemental cycle. Ideally, you should try to use a new smudge for each cleansing.
Ideally, you should sage once a week. But like any kind of wellness practice, the more frequently you do it, the better.
“Every morning when I awake, I burn sage and say the above affirmation to maintain the energy of my space." Deanne x